Friday, October 17, 2014

I Have Been Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

It has been a long time since I have updated my blog and I wanted to share that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after a year long fight to get into a rhematologist. A little over a year ago, I started noticing significant changes in my body and knew that something wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on it at first because I thought I was just having reactions to my medication changes. However, after starting new medications and giving them an opportunity to work, I will still struggling with all over joint pain. 

Disclosure: This post is for informational purposes only.

The best way to describe my aches and pains would be similar to getting the flu. If you have ever had the flu, the fever and body aches are horrendous especially the older that you get. I took my regular medications and was using motrin in order to function for my two year old. It took me every ounce of my well being to take care of him and try to maintain my other blog. 

It took me several months to convince my pain management doctor that I had something else going on and after a year he finally agreed to send me to the rhematologist. He was running out of ideas on how to treat my back pain without costly treatments but he couldn't explain the all over joint pain that I was experiencing. It is a frustrating process but remember that you are your own medical advocate and sometimes you have to push your team to help you along the way.

I saw the rhematlogist at the very end of August and she started me on a Lyrica, a new medication, immediately to help with the all over joint pain. I am thankful that she was attentive to my needs and she actually listened to my concerns. After a lengthy amount of questions, she was pretty sure that I had Fibromyalgia but wanted to redo my blood work to rule out other medical issues that have similar symptoms. I went back 6 weeks later and she examined me again and said that I had the tender points associated with Fibromyalgia and confirmed that my blood work looked great. 

I am somewhat scared of this new official diagnosis but at the same time I am relieved that there is treatment for it. It is a life long illness and it will forever change my life. 

I will continue updating my blog, hopefully, more frequently than I have in the past.

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.