Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Listen to Your Body, When You are In Pain Your Body is Telling You to Slow Down

Relaxing While Reading a BookYikes, it has been a while since I have written anything on this blog.  The weeks seem to be running together and I have been busy  lately.  Last Tuesday, June 11th, my daughter had surgery and I had to  go to the doctor on Wednesday to see my pain management doctor.  The week before my daughter's surgery, my upper back started hurting really bad, it has been a while since I have had my upper back flare up so bad that I couldn't get comfortable no matter what position I tried.


I am not sure what I did to cause my increased pain.  However, if I knew for sure what I did I would make sure that I wouldn't repeat the same mistake or task again without being more careful.  I found it very difficult to get comfortable or be able to even lay down to rest.  Laying down for a few hours during the day helps decrease my pain, in addition to the pain medicine that I take in the morning usually makes me drowsy.  I attempted to contact my doctor on Friday to see if he could call me in a script or squeeze me in that afternoon.  Of course, my doctor and his nurse happened to be out of the office and wouldn't return until Monday.  The pain was so intense I considered going to urgent care or to the ER.  Instead, I choose to just deal with the pain because I didn't want them to turn me away or do a bunch of tests for a diagnosis that I already have.

Finally, the doctor's office returned my call on Monday, June 10th and said that if I was hurting that bad that I would need to come into see the doctor.  When I spoke to the nurse, I thought that I was going to be okay and that my pain was improving; however, after sleeping in a hotel bed and sitting at the hospital all day on Tuesday I quickly changed my mind.  Every day I can feel back spasms in my upper back.  It feels as if the muscles are on fire.

On June 11th, while sitting in the waiting room at the hospital I decided that I probably should take care of my upper back issues.  After all I don't want it to get any worse than it it already is.  So while my daughter was in surgery, I called my doctors office and scheduled an appointment to see my pain management doctor the follow day.

He looked at me kinda funny and asked how everything was going because I was in his office sooner than normal routine schedule.  I told him that my upper back was hurting and that the pain was bad enough that it has been affecting my sleep.  I would toss and turn in bed all night long and my pain medicine wasn't taking the edge off of my pain.  Tossing and turning isn't exactly my idea of fun as I try and attempt to find a comfortable position to sleep in, plus it keeps my husband awake at night.  He suggested that we try cortisone injections in my shoulder blades and upper back to try and help control my flare up.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be getting cortisone injections at all because they are subject to my deductible.

While I was in the office, I talked to my doctor about what my orthopedic doctor said about surgery.  I told him that my orthopedic doctor thought that I would be a good candidate for a spinal fusion.  I asked him if he felt that a spinal fusion would help with my pain.  He agreed with my orthopedic doctor.  Finally, two doctors on the same page.  :)  He also recommended suggested trying radio-frequency procedure which is a form of spinal decompression which is supposed to help relieve the pain.  The only down fall it is usually not covered by most insurance companies and only has about a 50 to 60 percent chance of working. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I left the doctors office with another prescription in hand and guess what this prescription also makes me sleepy.  Being sleepy during the day takes away from me having a productive lifestyle and the ability to provide for my family.  However, on the bright side my new prescription for a muscle relaxer has allowed me to get some restful sleep the last few days.  I hate taking so many pills to make my pain go away.

Lately, I have been feeling bummed out and depressed because I feel like I can't contribute to my family like I could a few years ago.  It is hard knowing that I can't help provide for my family the way I once was able too.

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.

Disclosure:  This post is for informational purposes only and should never replace getting appropriate medical care.