Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Prevent Possible Drug Interactions - Ask Your Doctor If the New Prescription Will Interact With Your Current Prescription

HeadacheI apologize that I haven't kept up with my blog over the last few days, I was woken up by a pounding headache at 4 am on Saturday morning.  This headache wasn't your typical headache, it was one that felt like your head is going to explode from all of the pressure.  I tried to go back to bed after I took some over the counter medication but my head was pounding and I started feeling nauseated from the pain.  So I grabbed my microwavable moist heating pad and heated it up in the microwave.  This seemed to help ease the pain and I was able to go back to sleep.

Disclosure:  This post is for informational purposes only and the opinions reflected in this post are my own.  Your opinions may differ from my opinions.  I am not a doctor, health care provider, or pharmacist.


 

When I woke up my headache was gone but a few hours later I it felt as if it was going to come back at any moment and I wasn't feeling very well.  My husband convinced me to go to the doctor since my face was tender to the touch when I had my headache.  So off to the doctor I went.

The doctor said that I had a pretty serious sinus infection, in fact, after several days of antibiotics and a steroid shot I am still not feeling normal yet.  When he started talking about prescribing medications, I immediately asked him what he was planning on giving me.  I wanted to make sure that it didn't have any interactions with my other medications.  I am glad that I asked because he was planning on giving me something that contained the same drug that I was already taking for my chronic pain.  This could have been dangerous to my health.

It is important to make sure that you voice the medications that you are taking, especially, when the doctor that you are seeing isn't familiar with your chronic condition.  Even though most doctors offices, will ask you what medications you are taking.  It doesn't mean that the doctor treating you paid attention to the noted medication in your chart.  It is best to speak up and tell the doctor what medications that you are taking to avoid possible drug interactions so that he can prescribe something that is compatible with your other medications.

Using the same pharmacy for all of your prescriptions can help catch the drug interactions.  However, if your main pharmacy is closed, the pharmacy you are filling your new prescriptions won't have all of your medication history and might miss possible drug interactions.  If you have any questions or concerns about possible drug interactions, be sure to ask the pharmacist who is filling your prescription.


Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.

How do you avoid possible drug interactions when seeing doctors who aren't familiar with your chronic condition and the medications that you are currently taking?