Friday, April 19, 2013

Who Should Be Allowed to Use A Handicap Restroom Stall When Using a Public Restroom?

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Signage_g309-Toilets_Sign_p151900.html
Handicap Restroom Sign

Do you use the handicap restroom when you are out in public?  I have been trying to make a conscious decision to start using the handicap stall so that I have the hand rails available if I need to use them.  There has been times when I have occasionally been given those ultimate glares or dirty looks.  I am sure that as I start using the handicap stall on a regular basis, that the looks and glares will increase.


Disclosure: This post is for informational purposes and is based on my own opinions.  Please refer to the ADA website or contact an attorney for more information on using a handicap restroom.


The looks and glares don't really bug me but I hope that I don't ever run into someone that actually decides to give me a hard time about using a handicap stall, especially, if I don't have my youngest some in the restroom with me or don't have an assistive device.  As I started yesterday, I am not currently using a cane or any other assistive device to make getting around easier so my condition isn't easily identifiable to others.


I have noticed that the handicap stalls in the restrooms usually have a toilet that sits up higher off the ground, which helps me.  A toilet that sits higher off the ground helps me so that I am not having to struggle nearly as hard to be able to get up off of the toilet compared to a traditional toilet.  The hand rails are nice to have in case I need help pulling myself up.  At this time my back isn't so bad yet that most of the time I don't have any trouble getting up and down from the toilet.  I dread the day when I have to make changes to my own personal bathroom at home to accommodate my needs.

What is the Proper Etiquette for Using a Handicap Restroom Stall in a Public Restroom? 


I was researching the proper etiquette when it comes to using a handicap bathroom so that I know what to say to someone in the event that they decide to confront me.  The ADA provides provisions for public places to offer handicap patrons with the facilities to accommodate their personal needs while a patron or as an employee at the store.  However, the ADA doesn't limit who can use the toilet.  So a mother with her child in the stroller or someone in my condition has the right to use the handicap stall if it makes it easier for me to use the restroom.  It is proper etiquette to allow someone who is in line with a wheel chair or another assitive device with preferential access to the handicap stall when there is a line.

Have you been confronted for using the handicap stall in a public place?

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.