Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Medication Can Be Used To Effectively Treat Chronic Pain

http://www.sxc.hu/photo/707274
Medications can be beneficial for people who suffer from chronic pain.  If your like me, you don't want to take pills to mask the pain unless it is your absolute last resort.  I personally don't like taking pills, especially, narcotics due to all of the side effects that are involved with taking them.  However, being in pain 24/7 isn't fun and can be very exhausting.  About a year ago, I finally broke down and began taking pain medication to help me control my pain. 


Disclosure: This post is for informational purposes only.  I am not a doctor or health care provider.  The opinions reflected in this post are my own and are based upon my own experiences with chronic pain.

Why I Chose to Use Medication as Part of My Treatment Plan?


I chose to use medication to help decrease my pain symptoms so that I could be able to sleep.  Getting enough sleep is very important, especially, for people who suffer from chronic pain.  Without adequate sleep,  you tend to become more irritable and your pain seems to increase more when you aren't well rested.   At first, I was only taking my pain medication at night just so that I could sleep.  However, over the last year my pain has increased drastically and I now have to take medication twice a day.  It stinks because the medicine makes me sleepy, gives me constipation, and only takes the edge off of my pain (meaning my pain only decreases minimally).  Medicine is part of my treatment plan because I have already tried every non-invasive treatment that is available that could be beneficial without having surgery.  I don't feel comfortable having surgery at the moment.

Follow These Important Rules When Using Medication for Treatment for Chronic Pain


If you decide to use medication as part of your treatment plan, it is important that you remain open and honest with your pain management doctor.  Many doctors are getting more hesitant to just hand out prescription narcotics due to abuse so communication with your doctor is critical for your health.  If your doctor prescribes medication, do follow these rules:
  • Don't doctor hop looking for medication.  Your doctor will catch you.  If your are caught, your doctor will more than likely terminate your care.
  • Do follow the directions listed on the prescription bottle.
  • Do take your medicine daily.
  • Do tell your doctor if there are any changes in how your medication is working.
  • Don't share your prescriptions with others.
  • Do be prepared for your doctor to drug test you.  This helps your doctor determine if your being honest with him about seeing other doctors or taking drugs that you don't tell your doctor about.
  • Do fill your prescription at the same pharmacy, if possible, this will help limit drug interactions.   
Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.