Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How to Handle Unethical Situations that May Arise While Looking for a Job

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Healthy_Living_g284-Conversation_With_Consultant_p61338.html
"She Just Doesn't Get It"
Why is it so hard for people to understand that your pain is constant, even when you don't look like your in pain?  Or why do they feel like you have to live your life as a lie in order to find the right job opportunity?  I have been out of work for quite sometime due to my chronic low back pack.  As I am searching for a job, I have to carefully read job descriptions and determine if there is a way that I can do the job.  With my restrictions, I am pretty limited and need a sedentary job.  

Disclosure:  This post is my own personal opinion according to my own experiences and physical restrictions.  

Days are tough when you have issues getting a good night sleep and others think your lazy for sleeping during the day.  I get it, I don't look sick.  Others don't have a clue the amount of pain that I have to just PUSH through each and every day in order to maintain a very sedentary lifestyle.   

Yesterday, I had to go to a job placement meeting so that they can help me find a job that meets my restrictions and help me find an employer who will accept me for who I am and what I can and cannot do physically.  Yes, I am smart and I can easily land a job; however, there is a price that I have to pay each day when I get up from the bed.  I have to pick and choose my tasks very wisely as it is easy to become fatigued and make my pain increase in the matter of a few minutes or hours depending on what I do.  

I was presented with what seemed like an ideal and possibly a great job opportunity from the eyes of the counselors that I just couldn't pass up.  Yes, I agree it was a perfect opportunity and could potentially be a perfect match.  However, I haven't seen a job description and I refuse put my health at risk, after all if I could still do a light duty job I would have never been laid off.  

I was told yesterday that I should wait to discuss any of my physical limitations until after I have been offered a job.  Sounds to me like a "bait and switch" technique that some car dealerships use to lure customers into their showroom floors.  This advice didn't settle well with me at all.  In fact, it seems unethical to lie to someone's face about my restrictions and then when I get the job dance around some of the duties that I cannot physically do.  

This isn't fair to me, a future employer, or any of the people that I would have to work around each day.  I am not one to complain about my situation on the job, which was part of the reason my former employer had issues with me when I told them all of a sudden that I could no longer do parts of my job.  

Lying and being unethical would cause me not to sleep at night and it could even possibly get me fired.  I am not going to lie or be unethical for my personal gain.

I believe that I should be open and honest with a potential employer because I was taught at an early age that "honesty is always the best policy".  If someone chooses to take a chance and work with me, then we can discuss my limitations in great detail and go from there.  

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.