Monday, April 29, 2013

Fighting Two Battles: Chronic Pain and Allergies this Past Week

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Other_g374-Tired_Woman_p21635.html
I haven't written very much over the past several days, I haven't been feeling very well and writing was very difficult for me.  I was planning on going to the doctor this morning if I was still feeling the way that I felt on Friday.  On Friday, I felt as if I was living in a fog and I couldn't concentrate on anything.  I decided to take it easy and rest most of the weekend.  I spent time a majority of my time just relaxing or reading.  In fact, Friday night I surprised my husband and went to be early (something I haven't done in a very long time thanks to pain + insomnia = painsomnia).  I slept all night and woke up still feeling exhausted and run down.  

I felt a little bit better on Sunday and this morning I woke up still feeling a bit under the weather.  In fact, I could tell that I am battling some sort of sinus/allergy issue.  I decided to hold off on going to the doctor and try taking a decongestant to see if that helped me before making the trip to see the doctor.  It seems like it has helped me some.  I haven't felt as if I was in a fog today.  Thank goodness because I wasn't sure how I was going to get any work accomplished if I had to work inside of my "fogginess". 

Sometimes, we just have to listen to our bodies and take the time to rest.  I managed to get a really good nap  today and it seems as if that helped as well.  If you suffer from chronic pain, remember that your body is constantly fighting against itself to keep your inflammation and pain under control.  This compromises our bodies ability to fight off an infection or cold.  As our body is working overtime to fight two different battles, it is important that we take the time to rest.  

I tend to get quite a few sinus issues during the spring and this year I have been steadily taking Claritin to help keep my allergies in check. For the most part it seems like it helps, plus I am not exposed to countless germs that most people are exposed to on a daily basis.

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.

Do you find yourself getting sick more compared to when you  were healthy?