Thursday, April 18, 2013

Canes Aren't Just for Old People

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Leisure_Hobbies_g420-Grandmother_p34436.html
Last night while I was laying in bed, I decided to do some research on canes aka walking sticks.  I kinda like the term walking stick much better, it sounds more hip and young and doesn't sound like something an old lady carries around.  I have been pretty hard headed on my journey with chronic pain and I am not quick to give up my independence.  However, I know that there are some days when it seems difficult to walk due to pain and could use some type of assistance getting around.  Besides that I didn't know if a cane would be even help my back and I didn't want to spend money on something that wouldn't help me anyhow.

Disclosure:  This post is for informational purposes only.  The opinions reflected in this post are my own and may differ from your opinions.  If you feel that you need an assistive device, contact your doctor or health care provider for more information.

I am way too young to have a cane but I have a feeling I will be seeing one in my near future, in fact, probably sooner than I would like to openly admit (opps did I just say that lol).  I haven't fallen down yet while out and about but I do get easily fatigued.  I can only stand to go shopping or run errands for about an hour and if I am lucky I can last about two hours without having to sit down for a while, preferably, in a comfortable chair.

So how does a cane help someone with low back pain?  According to Health Central, a cane can help reduce the amount of pressure that is placed on your knees and helps you keep your balance. When you are walking, especially, if you are walking up or down an incline or stairs a cane can help counterbalance the pressure on your back.

If you decide to use a cane it is important that you use it correctly for maximum benefit.  A cane should always be used on the opposite side that you have problems with.  This allows you to lean into the cane while keeping the pressure off the affected joints.  If you have issues on both sides, use the cane on the side that is the weakest or the most painful.

Assistive devices were created to help people, like myself, to maintain their mobility and independence.  I don't know why I worry about getting the glares, stares, and comments if it would help me get around easier.  I suppose that I should just go to the store and test drive some canes to see if one would be helpful in my situation.

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+.