Sunday, April 7, 2013

4 Ways to Cope With Your Pain - Learning Your Own Limits

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Computing_g368-Girl_On_White_Sofa_With_Laptop_p112943.html
Relax! Before You Overdo It.
If you suffer from chronic pain, it is very important that you learn your limits, especially, if you don't want to pay for overdoing things later in the day or the very next day.  I know that I am stubborn and hardheaded most of the time, so I tend to overdo things frequently on the weekends when my family is home.  I feel like I am way too young to be feeling like an old lady, who probably would be moving around with the help of a  cane, a walker, or a scooter.  I am young and I want to do things with my family.  However, my pain levels lately put a major damper on getting out of the house and doing most of the things that I once enjoyed.  I am able to go do some of the things that I enjoy in moderation.

Disclosure: This post is for informational purposes only.  I am not a doctor or health care provider.  The opinions reflected in this post are my own and are based upon my own experiences with chronic pain.

Prioritize


The best thing you can do if you suffer from chronic pain or another invisible illness know that it is perfectly acceptable to prioritize a task list of things that you would like to accomplish.  If you have a long list, it is possible that you may or may not be able to accomplish every single task.  Especially, if you are trying to get everything accomplished and done in one day.  Your pain may not allow you to finish all of your tasks but you can do the tasks that you are comfortable with.  It is important to listen to your body and stop before you injure yourself or cause your pain levels to increase.

Ask for Help


If you can't do something, ask for help.  This is the one thing that I often find myself having issues with because I still want to be independent and don't want to rely on others to always do things for me.  Never assume that someone knows that you need help or what has to be done.  Instead, verbalize your need for help and don't be afraid to accept help if someone accepts to help you.  Always thank the person who has helped you.  Don't be disappointed if the first person that you ask can't help you, continue asking for help until you get the help you need even if you have to hire someone to complete a task.

Find Things You Can Do


As a chronic pain suffer, most of the time we focus only on the negative things that impact our life.  However, we all know that there are plenty of things that we still can do.  Realize that you might have to find new hobbies or things that interest you, to accommodate your new lifestyle.  Embrace these new changes and find things that spark your interest.  This is important because if you focus only on the negative things, you might give up on life or become severely depressed.

Don't Drag Other's Down Because You Are Always Focused on Your Pain


While others may not understand your level of pain, it is very important to find other topics to talk about or find activities that you can participate in.  If your spouse or friend, want you to go on a dinner date you should go unless you are in severe pain.  Getting out of the house and enjoying the company of other people can help lift your spirits and make your feel better.

Join in the conversation with me on TwitterFacebookPinterest, and G+