Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Car Accident Left Me With Long Term Low Back Pain

Car Accident
I created this blog to share my journey and struggles that relate to my journey with chronic low back pain.  My pain initially started in 1998, when I was involved in a car accident.  I sought treatment a few hours after the accident.  My x-rays should some mild trauma,  typically, known as whiplash.  Whiplash is normal after an car accident and with treatment most people can return to a normal life.  I  initially sought treatment from a chiropractor.  After I completed treatment with the chiropractor, I still noticed symptoms in my lower back and  I was then referred to an orthopedic doctor.  He sent me for an MRI.  My MRI didn't show any problems with the discs in my back and he released me after several rounds of cortisone shots.  He told me, "that I was young and that my back pain would go away."

In the summer of 2009, I was working on the yard and somehow flared up my back again.  I was in agonizing pain and was taking over the counter medications for the pain.  I decided that I needed to get my back checked out since it has been over 10 years since my initial injury.  This was when my real problems started.  The doctors put me on several medications to help reduce the pain and inflammation.  This helped somewhat but it didn't fix the root cause.  I had several MRI's, CT Scans, and a discogram before doctors determined that I had a problem with my disc at L5-S1 and slight abnormalities with L3-L4.  

The one thing that I learned getting to the bottom of my low back problems is to never let doctors discount what you are feeling and to press them to figure out what is wrong.  If I know what I know now, I wouldn't have let the first doctor get away with his lack of treatment and telling me that I was young and would heal.  WRONG!  

Trust and listen to your body, after all, you are the one who is suffering and in pain.